Indonesian Bee Hive
|Indonesian Bee Hive|
|Small Construction Site|
Indonesian Bee Care is required to build an Indonesian Bee Hive and also to collect honey from it, but anyone without the skill can mulch or gather fruit from a Citrus Tree.
Built in a Small Construction Site.
Indonesian Bee Hives, when constructed, come with a nearby Citrus Tree that grows several hours after initial construction. Citrus Trees produce Citrus fruit. The citrus (from the trees) infuses the honey (in the hives) and produces Aromatic Honey. In T8, new citrus types have been introduced, therefore there are new citruses and aromatic honeys this telling.
Hives are a complex made of a beehive (white dome) and a citrus tree. The ownership and permissions can be different for each. If you set the ownership when you build the SCS then both the tree and the hive will be the same. You can change either or both after the build. As the trees often go unattended for long periods granting public access is another way for the fruit to be harvested. Players can also change the access on the hives to allow the flavored honey to be harvested. T8 public access restrictions may have unknown impacts on public harvesting of citrus and flavored honey.
- Start growing and harvesting your citrus trees in preparation for making mining camps since which citrus fruit you have available will determine the region you can prospect and build a mining camp in. https://atitd.wiki/tale8/Mining_Camp
- Test of Ritual Mummification requires the body to be perfumed. Simple perfume is made in a kitchen, from 10 of the same citrus fruits.
- Test of Festivals has used perfume and aromatic honeys in ambrosia for some of its rituals. The test has not yet been opened this tale, but those items are expected to be incorporated into the test again in T8.
- Test of the Giving Fisherman uses one citrus fruit for each gift assembled.
- Indonesian Bee Hives produce one Aromatic Honey about every 12 real life hours.
- Citrus Trees produce one Citrus fruit about every 8 real life hours.
- Up to a maximum of 5 fruit and 5 honey can be built up before it will need to be gathered so that more can be produced.
You can only gather honey from an Indonesian Beehive while its tree is growing. Two trees within range (tested to be within 20 coordinates) will be randomly chosen to flavor the honey.
- If there is only one species of tree within 20 coordinates, the hive will produce "bland, ordinary honey", the same as what comes from an apiary.
- If there are only two types of tree within that range, the honey will always include the flavors of both those trees.
Otherwise, the flavor of the honey may or may not include the flavor produced by the tree growing at that hive. Mulching a tree prevents the honey from being gathered until the tree regrows, but does not reduce the volume of honey produced.
- A Sweet Orange tree and a Greenish Lime tree would produce Lime-Orange Honey in the nearby Indonesian Beehives if those were the only trees nearby.
- A Sweet Orange and a Tangy Orange would produce normal, unflavored honey since they are both the same base fruit type.
- A grove full of different varieties of Orange, but with one Grapefruit tree, will produce Grapefruit-Orange honey at all its hives until either the grapefruit tree is mulched or a third species of tree is in range.
Honey is an alphabetical combination of two different base types of fruit (and not the adjectives). In past tales, there were 78 varieties of honey possible. Examples: Lime-Orange, Coralfruit-Lenat, Lemon-Lime. In Tale 8, there are 26 base fruits, which leads to approximately 350 different combinations of honey flavors. A listing of every possible variety of aromatic honey can be found at: Festivals Aromatic Honey Stock
Citrus Trees have 4 statistics that determine what type of fruit is produced:
When a citrus tree first grows, two other trees within range (15 coords) are chosen to be the "parents" to help determine the variety of tree that grows.
If there are no trees within range to act as parents, then one of the following varieties will always be chosen:
- Small Buddha's Hand (renamed for T8)
- Long Citron (renamed for T8)
Every Citrus Tree has an option to "mulch" it or chop it down. In an hour of real time, a new tree will grow and will search for any trees in range to act as parents as above. Using this method, you can have 3 trees together, mulch one of them, and it will re-grow using the other 2 trees as parents. This seems to be an effect similar to crossbreeding.
There does seem to be a random effect involved in what new type of tree grows. Mulching the same tree multiple times will often produce a number of different new types. Using the statistics provided at Citrus Tree Data, you can mulch the trees furthest from your goal to drive the orchard toward the tree you want.
Citrus Fruit and Honey Types
- Buddha's Hand
There are 8 different adjectives used to describe the particular type of fruit:
This means there are at least 216 different types of citrus fruit in all. Examples: Flat Tangelo, Greenish Lime, Sweet Lenat. The Test of Festivals may require 108 out of the 216 different fruit types possible (this may not be true in T8 any longer). In the Test of the Giving Fisherman you may use any of the citrus types to make a gift.
Honey is an alphabetical combination of two different base types of fruit (and not the adjectives). Therefore, there are 350 (?) varieties of honey possible. Examples: Lime-Orange, Coralfruit-Lenat, Lemon-Lime.
You can reposition a bee hive after building it and before the first tree grows.